The SotE podcast returns with its second episode on what appears to be approximating a monthly release timetable with an interview of famed author Douglas Rushkoff. During the 45-minute interview we discuss topics related to his newest book Program or Be Programmed which is where the title for this episode comes from.
In the emerging, highly programmed landscape ahead, you will either create the software or you will be the software. It’s really that simple: Program, or be programmed. Choose the former, and you gain access to the control panel of civilization. Choose the latter, and it could be the last real choice you get to make.
Show Notes – Topics
- Does Douglas really have the programming chops to write a book about the subject?
- Is programming the sweet spot – the high leverage point – in a digital society?
- When did the Internet tip from hackers playground to a business medium?
- A technology metaphor equivalent to Winston Churchill’s “History is written by the victors”
- Why has society remained one step behind the full capabilities offered by new media?
- Are Amish and indigenous cultures living examples of the life we could expect to lead if we are on the wrong side of the programming divide?
- How to avoid distractions, educate yourself and not get programmed!
- Soundbite Snippets from my podcast pick of the month: The Disinformation Podcast
Show Notes – Music
- A shorter
less painfulmuch improved Steppin’ off the Edge theme song!!!
- Reactable Mix by Robbo #02 (related blog post)
- Code Monkey – Jonathan Coulton(unplugged)
- Codergirl – Dale Chase
- Do what you can – Lee Rosevere
- Still Alive – GLaDOS / Valve
Feel free to share it any which way you like with people who you think would enjoy it – unless of course you hate it and then your seething silent rage is thanks enough Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated, even the stuff where you tell me how horrible it is.