Jenn Lim is the CEO and Chief Happiness Officer of Delivering Happiness, a company that she and Tony Hsieh (CEO of Zappos) co-created in 2010 to inspire happiness in work, community and everyday life. She steps off the edge with me to discuss understanding how to be happy, the scientific measurements of happiness, how you can nudge the world towards happiness and much, much more. It’s a bucket full of happiness this episode, but remember. “It’s more of a question of can you get to that point where knowing that there are going to be lifes’ natural ups and downs that you can still maintain that state because you are in that frame of mind where you do know you have a higher purpose, you are interacting with other people, where you are sharing your resources and doing something outside of yourself” Come on, get happy!
Super Freebie! Jenn has graciously offered to send any listeners a physical copy of the culture book who want one. All you have to do is e-mail her firstname.lastname@example.org and let her know your mailing address. Need it to be easier? Use this handy link and your default e-mail client will load with a message to her.
- Jennifer Lim @ TEDxKC – Applied Happiness
- Graeme Gibson – Echoes of a working Eden
- Sounds of the Earth – Jim Tersol
- Happy Little Clouds – Remix of Bob Ross by MelodySheep
- Garden of your Mind – Remix of Mr. Rogers by MelodySheep
- Get your own culture book from Jenn today!
- Delivering Happiness
- Jennifer Lim
- What toppings come when you deliver happiness?
- Culture books are a “symbol of how companies can successfully create cultures based on happiness and be profitability at the same time”. They grew out of desire to scale happiness and are a reflection of inputs from employees, customers, suppliers. Zappos was looking for reflections of core values in the testimonials to understand how well they are succeeding in hitting their goals.
- The subjectivity of the science of happiness.
- The business impact of happiness: Happiness -> Productivity -> Profitability
- TED Nic Marks – The Happy Planet Index and the happy business index
- The dangers of focusing on metrics which can be quantified or neglecting the metrics that cannot be quantified
- Happiness ROI calculator
- Gross National Happiness and Bhutan
- UN Happiness Summit
- Primary factors in how DH determines happiness are a sense of progress, control, connectiveness and a sense of higher purpose
- Jenn’s journey to happiness
– Understanding the highest and lowest points in her life
– Being able to articulate her primary motivators beyond money and status
– Shifting decisions based on those core values
– Being open to opportunities when they present themselves
- Sharenomics, the quality of life and empowering passion through technology
- “All those sacrifices our ancestors made for us were successful. We’re indebted in a way to fulfill that. If they wanted us to have a better future, more opportunities, the time is now and it’s up to us to make that happen. Whether that is through sharing resources or creating communities all over the world via technology, it’s just an amazing time and I feel like it’s almost a certain sort of obligation that we have given all sacrifices that happened in the past”
- “I think of it less as dosages and more of as a state. So not necessarily a cumulative thing that you are trying to fill a bucket of happiness. It’s more of a question of can you get to that point where knowing that there are going to be lifes’ natural ups and downs that you can still maintain that state because you are in that frame of mind where you do know you have a higher purpose, you are interacting with other people, where you are sharing your resources and doing something outside of yourself”
- Why does this idea of the measurement of happiness seem so new?
- Why are we superbad at predicting happiness?
- How to avoid mental traps that get in the way of being happy
- Top 5 regrets of the dying – By Bronnie Ware (or enjoy the summary blog post)
- Delivering Happiness Pledge – Not a partnership with Johnson & Johnson for a clean home is a happy home campaign
- Other DH Programs: Happy Hunts and PHD (Pursuit of Happiness Day)
- How to step off the edge towards happiness
– Be true to yourself
– Identify and rate/rank your personal core values
– Express yourself honestly
– Have a happiness checklist to remind yourself when presented with opportunities or decisions