As the metaphorical waves of globalization crash hard upon the beachheads of peak oil, climate change and unsustainable economic growth we need to prepare to be able to thrive during challenging times. Cam Mather is an author and speaker who lives off-the-grid and enjoys “showing others that the best thing for the planet is now the best thing for your bank account”. During the interview with Cam you will learn about the cost and complexity of so-called “alternative” forms of home energy, the delusions and dangers of living a corporately structured lifestyle and why embracing change voluntarily or living locally is a step all of us should be taking to prepare for the challenging times ahead.
- cammather.com and Aztext Press
- Mother Earth News – Off the Grid and Thriving
- Can “alternate energy” scale from 1 to 1 billion?
- International energy agency
- Great Ice Storm ’98
- What is your power backup plan?
- Subtle joy of not having bills to pay / cheques to write
- Dichotomy and benefits of operating a digital business
- End of Suburbia
- Delusions and dangers of living a corporately structured lifestyle
- Thriving During Challenging Times
- Solar powered bicycle?!?!
- The joys of seasonal / local living
- Embracing change voluntarily and the novel Ishmael
- Energy Efficiency – How to get the biggest bang for your buck
- Energy Audits & Rebates- Ontario, Canada, USA
- Cost & Complexity of ground source heat pumps, geo-thermal heating, solar hot water heaters, wood (zero-carbon heating?), solar electricity and wind
- Generators – the dirty little secret of off-grid living
- Financial implications of soft vs hard assets
- Transition towns and why barterable skills / re-locationalization of economies are important
- Northeastern blackout of 2003: We’re how dependent on global power infrastructure?
- Steven Johnson – Where do good ideas come from @ TED.com
- Biomimicry: Using natures genius to reduce our impact on the environment
- The Eden Project